FireCore announced the release of a tethered jailbreak and aTV Flash (black) for the iOS 5.0 firmware. If your Apple TV is on iOS 5 you can now jailbreak your Apple TV
Seas0nPass currently provides a tethered jailbreak for the new 5.0 (iOS 5.1) AppleTV software. Functionally, both jailbreak types are identical, the only difference being that a tethered jailbreak requires the AppleTV to be connected to a Mac/PC when first powering it on. Since the AppleTV doesn’t have a battery, and is rarely ever powered off, this usually only needs to be done once.
What’s new in the 5.0 AppleTV software? Should I update?
● New interface: – Fast, visual access to all content choices
● Movie purchases in iCloud: Support for buying movies on Apple TV and playing back purchased movies from iCloud
● Genius Recommendations: Recommendations for content on the iTunes Store based on previous rentals and purchases
● Screensaver photos: New National Geographic photos built-in for screensaver
● On-device sign-up: On-device sign up for content partners on Apple TV using your Apple ID
Which plugins are currently supported on 5.0?
● Couch Surfer (works)
● Last.fm (works)
● Maintenance (works)
● Media Player (works)
● NitoTV (works)
● RSS Feeds (works)
● Weather (works)
● Overflow (not working)
● Plex (not working)
● Remote HD (not working)
● Rowmote (not working)
● XBMC (not working)
whats aTV Flash?
aTV Flash (black) is a user-friendly software package that supercharges your new black AppleTV, unleashing a plethora of new functionality. Don’t worry about the technical details – aTV Flash (black) is simple to use and safe for your AppleTV. Installation is a snap and doesn’t require any physical changes to the AppleTV.